Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bad Socks, Flat Tire

Today I rode my bike to school with Mrs. Mach. It's a 15 mile ride each way and we've done it dozens of times. In all those trips I've had only one flat tire on a 105-degree afternoon just as we got off the causeway heading into Davis. We got off to the change the flat and many minutes later, after a trucker gave us water, two people asked us for help, and I realized that my spare tube was for David's giant road tires, we called David to the rescue. I was covered in grease while Mrs. Mach had rolled up her shorts, donned her flip flops and further increased the golden of her tan.
Today I wore ugly neon green cycling socks so maybe I deserved my flat tire, earned in the same exact location where I got the first. I got the tire off, pulled the tube out and put in another. Pumped it up with the help of a CO2 cartridge (so fun to use it's almost worth the flat tire) and then...hsssssssss...this tube had a leak in it, too. Grease, flip flops and a phone call later, our bikes were back in the bed of David's truck.
We had a fun first leg of the ride nevertheless. We had stopped at Starbucks just a few miles before the tire incident and relaxed to some latte love, knowing that we'd make good use of the caffeine and calories to get us over the causeway.
So, tomorrow we ride in a car in hopes that the tires are a bit more durable. And we'll stop at Starbucks again, of course.

Today's homework: wash grease off body and give husband a back rub for being there to save me

1 comment:

saramach said...

Extra credit: Buy new socks.