Saturday, September 20, 2008

Grandma

Grandma and Grandpa were my nextdoor neighbors for most of my life. At dinner time, Tony and Grandma would build an imaginary garage, adding practical features (from Grandma) and extravagent, motor-driven, laser emitting features (from Tony). Their garage was always a work in progress. I never added anything to the garage but instead sat quietly listening to their plans, imagining the colors of the walls, the size of the doors and windows, and wondered when they would actually start building it in the back yard. I still think that one day it really will be built.

Grandma, Grandpa and Tony are three people in my life I have always believed. Tony told me that if I was making a face and he hit me on the back, the face would stick. He also told me that if I ripped the edges off of 1980s dot matrix printer paper that I would get cancer (I don't think he really intended that to come true). Grandpa told me that he had met the inventor of soil fertilizer.

Grandma never told me anything that I shouldn't believe. She is wise.

Today's homework: Listen to Grandma

2 comments:

Mel said...

I couldn't agree more! In fact, I was just over listening to your Grandma today. What a lovely woman. Nothing phases her. xoxoxo LoVe love LOVE your blog and you are such an exquisite writer. Glad you are sharing with the world.

saramach said...

Extra Credit: Tell Grandma thank you for being wise.