Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Organelles



Today I taught my English Learners about the role of lysosomes in eukaryotic cells. I drew a great picture of a toilet and told them that lysosomes were the crap master of the cell because they clean out toxins and waste products. Maybe they'll remember that.

We went through slide after slide of organelles and pronounced the names, which turned into a jumble of Russian, Spanish and Japanese-speakers with a new excuse for yelling in class.
I'm not sure there is a great way to teach students about organelles. I realized last year that I had made it to 27 years and didn't really know the role of the endoplasmic reticulum and the golgi apparatus. Of course, it's not that the students know everything, but that they learn the process of learning and filtering through masses of information.

Today's homework: tell someone at home the role of lysosomes in eukaryotic cells.

1 comment:

saramach said...

Extra Credit: Somehow relate the role of lysosomes in eukaryotic cells to a condom and a banana.